Monday, August 4, 2014

8/4/2014 - letter and photo from Oxford, MA

My week has been super busy, as usual. On Monday we finally just relaxed. We haven't had a relaxing P-day in a long time. In fact, today is going to be rather stressful but it will be good stress. And do ya' wanna know why?! Because Sister Boldt and I are getting a mini missionary today! We are picking her up at 1 o'clock today in Stafford. She is from somewhere in Connecticut, and is coming to join us Monday through Friday! It is SO exciting. We already have some good pranks lined up for her. It should be loads of fun. I am so EXCITED that Kaitlyn is going on a mini mission! And I am more excited that they do those in Washington! They are HUGE here in New England, everybody does them. So I am super excited for Kaitlyn. Too bad she couldn't do it for a little longer. Being a missionary is the best thing EVER! AH! I AM SSOOOOOO EXCITED FOR HER!! It is so much fun!!! She is going to love it :D

We were going to teach young women's yesterday but we got some bad news instead. So yesterday, we got to church and they announced that there had been a death. The story is this: The past week was girls camp. All the girls had had a very spiritual and fun time at camp, and were all on a spiritual high. One of the Camp Leaders was expressing how stressed she was about going back home because they were going to have to pack up their whole house because they were moving. Instead of packing, she and her daughter had come to girls camp. On the way home from camp, both the Young women's leader and her 16 year old daughter were killed in a car accident. It was a five car crash, and they both died instantly. The whole testimony meeting at church that day was very sad, and very touching. All of the young women were in tears through out the day, as you can imagine. After sacrament, we carried on and went to Gospel Principles, which Sister Boldt and I have been teaching consistently because our Ward Mission Leader has been out of town. After that, we proceeded to go teach Young Women's. After all of the announcements, the Bishop and his counselors came in and talked to the young women about what had happened. I thought that it was so amazing of Bishop. He let the girls share their feelings, and then taught a lesson on the Plan of Salvation. It was amazing to see how he comforted the Young Women. You could literally see all of their shoulders relax a little as they talked about their friend, Rachel, and her mother. So no, we did not get to teach Young Women's, but it was an amazing experience to see how these girls handled the passing of a friend. We will be teaching young women's next week and have a lesson prepared on "Why Families are Important" and "How We Can Strengthen Our Families". It will be a stellar lesson :)

Some more good and bad news. One of our investigators has been coming to church every Sunday. He is awesome! However the adversary has been working very hard on him. This last lesson we had with him was awesome (every lesson we have with him is awesome, actually). We addressed the topic of his smoking and his drinking coffee. He wants to quit. In fact, his ex girlfriend that he is living with, has a disease called Lupus.  Well, unfortunately, it has been getting worse. The doctor told her that the only way it is going to start going away and the medication is going to help, is if she stopped smoking. So, our investigator, and his brother (who is always over at their house, I don't know why, but he was able to sit in on the lesson with us which was superb!) are going to stop smoking to show support and help her not smoke. We were able to teach him and his brother about the first part of the plan of salvation and talked about the atonement and how the Savior has gone through what they are going through. So, Sister Boldt and I made an addiction chart and are going to drop it off at his house later tonight. We are also sending them morning texts to not drink coffee and have a cigarette when they wake up. It has been helping a lot.

(Note from the editor: Sister Bower's mom received a call to be a ward missionary...)

You will be an amazing ward missionary! It is the best calling ever! You get to see so many investigators grow and change their lives for the better. And you grow to love them like your Heavenly Father would. Just remember to always look at them or try to find qualities in them that Heavenly Father has given them. Always look at the good and think of ways that you can help improve their lives. Bear your testimony often, it will not only bless them but it will bless you. There are only two major things that Heavenly Father needs missionaries to do:
1.) Invite others to come unto Christ
2.) Bear testimony
Those are the most powerful things that you can do :) AGH!!! I wish I could see you go out with the missionaries! I wish you could come out with Sister Boldt and I! That would just be so much fun.

Sister Boldt has taught me a lot these past couple weeks. I love her to death. She has taught me more about myself and has helped me see me how I really am, than I ever could in my whole life. Although it is very hard and I don't enjoy change, I love Sister Boldt for pushing me and helping me through it. She is the best companion I could ever imagine. Actually, I probably couldn't imagine her, because that is how great she is. I wish you could meet her.

Keep me posted on the life of all you Washington people :) I love and miss you!


Love Sister Bower :)

Sorry, I would send you more pictures but we have to go pick up our mini missionary! So I decided to send you at least one so that you know that I am still alive :)


P.s. Do you like my shirt? Sister Boldt and I bought a couple of matching things. Like this shirt. ALso a cardigan, a bracelet, and a pair of earings. So some days we are all matchy and it is super fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment